17 January 2008

lemony one-dish dinner

After the last post I realized I haven't shared a recipe lately. I thought I'd share what I made last night which of course was highlighted by my latest food crush, citrus. Looking at the font, I think I clipped this recipe from Real Simple. Of course I changed up a bunch of things. I was afraid it would be too lemony, but roasting the lemons left them with a milder flavor that's positively addictive. I will definitely be doing more experimenting with roasting citrus.


pen loves paper's version of Pan-Roasted Chicken with Lemon-Garlic Green Beans

4 tablespoons olive oil
2 large lemons, 1 thinly sliced, i juiced
5 large garlic cloves, minced
sprinkle of salt
dash of freshly ground pepper
1/2-3/4 lb. trimmed green beans
6-8 small-medium red potatoes, cut into 4-8 small wedges
4 thin-ish boneless chicken breasts, about 1 lb.

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Coat a large baking dish with cooking spray or olive oil. Arrange lemon slices in a single layer on the bottom of the dish (I had about 12 slices.)

In a large bowl, combine the remaining lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, salt, & pepper. Add the trimmed green beans and toss to coat. Using tongs, remove green beans from bowl and place them in the baking dish on top of the lemon slices. Add the potato wedges to the same olive oil mixture and toss to coat. Use tongs to remove the potatoes and add to the baking dish in a ring along the inside edge on top of the green beans (see picture.) Dip the chicken breasts one at a time into the olive oil mixture to coat, then place in the middle of the baking dish on top of the green beans. Pour any remaining olive oil mixture over the chicken.

Roast uncovered for 35-40 minutes. Check chicken for doneness. Pull out of the oven and allow to sit for 5 minutes. Place one chicken breast on each of four plates and divide potato, green bean, and lemon mixture among them.

No comments: