10 December 2007

holiday traditions

Even after the long out-of-the-way drive to get here and the recuperation time from my Freaky Friday (see previous post), I still managed to get some work done while here in Clearwater for the weekend. That's right, it's Rockefeller Center Christmas Tree card time!


I spent most of Sunday folding, addressing, and note writing my annual holiday cards. This is one of my favorite yearly traditions. It's a perfect time to reflect on the year I've had and share it with family and friends. Unfortunately, I've never been good with birthday greetings, phone calls, or the like (I know, that's terrible of me and I resolve to get better every year. I am getting much better with emails though, so I guess there may be hope?) This is what keeps me connected. Even more important than the cards I send are those I receive. My favorite part of December is going to the mailbox and pulling out holiday cards and letters (I LOVE the letters!) that detail the highlights of the previous year. Babies, weddings, trips taken, photos of grandchildren -- I eat all that stuff up. And if the sender is nice enough to add a website (a Flickr page or a blog about the new baby perhaps) I not only visit the site, but usually bookmark it to return to several times a year to stay in touch -- if only virtually. What would we do without the internet?

Once I get home I'll post my previous cards and the method used for making each one. I won't show this year's cards yet and ruin the surprise, but I'll put it up eventually. It was hard to top last year's card, which is my all-time favorite, but this one is definitely unique.

No comments: