20 December 2007

favorite holiday decorations

My favorite new decoration this year:


It's been so much easier to hang these cards instead of setting them up on the dining room hutch, where they would inevitably fall or get lost behind a larger card. I put four picture nails in the dining room door frame and wound wire leaf garland around it. Then I used small clothespins to hang the cards, paper clipping any letters or pictures to the inside for safe keeping. This makes me smile every time I walk into the house.


The awesome turquoise tinsel tree was a Christmas gift last year from my Mom. I placed it in my kitchen last year, but since I finally finished the Florida room this summer, I thought it looked more appropriate in there. Mercury-glass balls and silver bells are interspersed amongst the branches.


This wreath was one of several handmade by my aunt in the 1970s. My mother always put ours on the dining room table during the holidays. When my grandmother downsized into an assisted living facility, I jumped at the chance to bring hers into my home. Comprised of at least 50 small boxes individually wrapped, decorated, and then pinned (!) to a foam wreath core, this had to take forever to put together. Check out that wild wrapping paper!












When I got my grandmother's wreath, it was quite loose and barely holding together in some spots. Forty-five minutes and some hot glue later, it's solid as a rock (well, almost anyway.) It's my favorite holiday decoration because of its history and overall awesome-ness.

1 comment:

Tim said...

Your photos of things like this always turn out better than mine :-)