04 June 2008

a berry busy day

I decided to go out to Santa Fe Berry Farm last Saturday to pick blackberries and blueberries. It's located in tiny Earlton off SR26 right on Lake Santa Fe -- check out the view from their house (they welcome visitors to check out the lake):


I chose to go there instead of my usual organic haunt because I've always wanted to pick blackberries but end up going too late in the season to have any luck. It took a long time to pick the blackberries because of their thorny bushes, and by the time I was ready to switch to blueberries I was already hot and sweaty. Six pounds of blueberries was what I needed to make jam, but I gave up long before that due to the heat -- my fault for going berry picking at 11am. I ended up with almost a pound and a quarter of blackberries and 3 and a half pounds of blueberries (and at least a pound of berries in my tummy!) all for about $10. Not bad for two hour's worth of work.

Another fun thing about Santa Fe Berry Farm is their flowers. They grow huge sunflowers, black-eyed susans and zennias that you can cut to make your own bouquets.


If you decide to go (and I'd highly recommend you do) don't forget to wear close-toed shoes, bring a hat and your water bottle. You may even consider gardening gloves to get to some of those hard-to-reach blackberries without endangering your fingers.

Since I didn't get enough blueberries to make the amount of jam I wanted, I drove over to Roger's Farm to pick several extra pounds of strawberries so I could make mixed berry jam instead. Picking strawberries can hurt your back, but it's certainly quicker than blueberries or blackberries -- and you can't beat the price of $1 a pound! They had dropped the price of pickling cucumbers to 60 cents a pound, so I bought more of those too. If you're going to spend the day canning, you might as well go all the way, right?

No comments: