15 February 2008

adding improvement

When I drove up to my house for the first time three years ago, there was one thing I hated about it right away. The house announced itself with small brass numbers nailed to the roof line above the front door. They were difficult to find even in the day time and nearly impossible to see at night. It's the first thing I vowed to change. It's an easy enough fix that I never got around to due to never finding house numbers in quite the right style, not knowing where I wanted to put them, as well as outright laziness. Now that I've spent a lot of time landscaping the yard, I feel that the house has found its identity. I decided to attach numbers to my front door, a classic six-panel with just enough space between the middle and bottom panels to fit numbers attractively. While browsing through Lowe's the other day I finally found the perfect numbers in a serif font with a brushed nickel finish.

We were cleaning up Sunday afternoon after doing random outdoor chores when I remembered the house numbers. It probably took us -- okay, Tim -- only 15 minutes to measure, level, and screw in the new numbers (it was actually harder to get the old numbers off the house than to put the new ones up!) The difference was instantaneous. It catches my eye every time I leave the house or come back home. Neighbors and visitors have already commented on the switch. Unfortunately, now I'm starting to see other things that need changing -- porch lights, front door color, trim work... If there's one thing I've learned about home ownership, it's that you're never done improving!

I took a picture of the whole door, but decided against putting my address out there for the whole internet world to see. Maybe once I finish sprucing up the porch area I'll show a picture with the numbers fuzzed out.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow!! That's a great photo :-)