20 November 2007

the scarf: skein two


I also finished the second skein of yarn for my new winter scarf (which apparently can also be used as a table runner?) I need to finish up soon since it's starting to get chilly here at night. I took my knitting to a forum on how the US should fix the failing health care system last night since (honestly) those things tend to be sort of boring and my attention span is limited. I finished the skein two-and-a-half hours into the forum, so I think I made the right decision (I also think I paid better attention during the presentations and Q&A session than I would have without the knitting.) I called it my winter insurance plan -- helping to keep myself warm so I don't catch a cold and have to spend money I don't have on a doctor's visit and medicine.

Even without the knitting, the forum was very interesting. Harvard professor Dr. David Himmelstein gave a great presentation on the single-payer system. The Labor Party has been working on getting HR 676 passed in the House for several years now. The current state of insurance and health care in this country is scary. It's not even about the 45 million (yes, million) without insurance -- it's also about the millions of us who have some insurance but not enough, or whose premiums are so high we can't afford to go to the doctor even with insurance. Michael Moore's Sicko documentary helped shed light on the discrepancies between the American system and that of the rest of the industrialized world. Hopefully, now people are angry enough to do something about it. I'd like to see the health care debate become a serious issue in the 2008 presidential race -- not the small lip service it's being given so far. Because goodness knows my new scarf can only protect me from so much!

No comments: