03 October 2007

the wonders of a florida fall

For the last few weeks I've been reading on other craft blogs about the beginning of fall: the chill in the air, the desire to stay inside and nest, and the death of the summer garden. I've often wondered what it would be like to live somewhere where the seasons actually change when the equinox hits. This time of year is one of the few times I'm slightly jealous of the rest of the country. Until today made me come to my senses.

I was watching Madeleine play while looking out over my large overgrown backyard (overgrown only because it's just too hot to work in the yard in August & September around here) when something bright red caught my eye. Really? Could it be? A blood-red passion flower! I'd been waiting and waiting for these flowers to bloom, but hadn't seen any all summer. Upon closer inspection, I found blooms throughout the extensive vines climbing all over my back fence. Finally!



Then I looked around some more. Bougainvillea clusters, hibiscus yawning open, and Gerber daisies popping up. Even the bleeding heart vine is ready to bloom! So I grabbed my camera and took a tour through the yard. While snapping pictures I realized that although I still have a while to feel a real chill in the air (which we call winter around here), a Florida fall is special in its own right.

I'll post more yard pictures after I spend this weekend taming the lawn and flower beds. I am giddy with anticipation.

No comments: