10 April 2008

pillow(case) talk

For our last spring training game, Tim and I went to see the Indians play the Astros in Kissimmee. After the game we stopped at the local Salvation Army. I wandered around the linens section looking for a pillowcase to turn into a drawstring laundry bag. During my search I happened upon about 4 yards of canvas-weight mum fabric in shades of pink with a cream background -- all for $1.99. Then I found the perfect flowered pillowcase for only 99 cents!

As we waited in line with our hands full of great finds (Tim found a suit and some bowling shoes, I also scored a darling sun dress) we debated the uses for the fabric I'd found. Tim thought it would make a cute skirt, while I was thinking purses. Then he asked if I was going to turn the pillowcase into a skirt. I vetoed the idea, but in the last couple weeks I thought about how easy a project that would be.

So Monday night I settled into watching the Rays at Yankees game on the craft room TV and whipped up this pillowcase skirt:


It only took 2 hours, including adding a lining and drawstring for the waist. There are some things I don't love about it (the waist is gigantic and the drawstring needs some work) but overall it's really cute. So cute that I wore it the very next day to the Rays' home opener against the Mariners in St. Pete. I got tons of compliments. I am now obsessed with these skirts, and am heading out this afternoon to find more adorable pillowcases. The next time I make one, I'll take step-by-step photos for a quick tutorial.

Also, baseball spring training wrap-up and Rays opening day pictures to come soon, hopefully!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ok, 1. I love that you can just "whip up" a pillowcase skirt (which is very cute by the way)
and 2. I love that you have a boyfriend who sees fabric and says "that would make a cute skirt."
I miss you!