27 April 2008

it's the little things

I've been going to Gator baseball games for years, and the same person records Florida pitchers' strike outs at every game. It has always bothered me that this person does not differentiate between swung and called strikes. Well, today I noticed he/she has apparently learned the difference -- either that or the job has been passed to someone with more baseball knowledge or who is just as picky as I am. Either way, it made my day.

Florida took the series against SEC's top-ranked Georgia this afternoon after splitting the first two games. Bats were on fire both Saturday and Sunday, and everyone was in a good mood -- lots of silly antics by Albert, the announcers, and the left-field hecklers (props to Georgia left fielder Lyle Allen for playing along with the hecklers instead of ignoring them like most left fielders do.) The Georgia players' girlfriends/supporters also decided to make the trip down to Gainesville this weekend and set up a rival heckling squad next to the home hecklers in left field. They haven't had much to cheer about the last two days, but today they brought homemade posters. My favorite: the girl with the "Gators Wear Jean Shorts" sign (which lost points for not using the proper SEC heckling term "jorts.") Ironically, she was the only one of her compatriots clad in -- wait for it -- jean shorts! I apologize for not having my camera out for that one.

No comments: