21 September 2007

saying good-bye is never fun

Tonight I said good-bye to a friend, fellow activist, & neighbor. John got a job in Portland, and he's moving there next week. Larry is staying for now to put the house on the market. I will miss them dearly. They live on the next block over, and I love to walk Madeleine there just to stare at their amazing garden. John and Larry encouraged me to get more involved with the Labor Party and the fight for HR 676 -- single-payer health care for all. Listening to their experiences encourages me to do more.

I suppose I should be used to this. After all, Gainesville is a college town so transient by nature. But even after 25 years here I just can't get used to saying good-bye. I'm thrilled for John and Larry. I know fabulous adventures await them on the west coast. Good luck. I'll miss you both.

AND ... check out this great shirt Joe gave him as a going away gift. Go Gators!

No comments: