04 May 2008

oh my goodness

Blueberries. In the first week of May. Wow!

These fresh, organic, giant berries were delivered to my doorstep courtesy of my parents, who went picking at South Moon Farm in Cross Creek Saturday morning. These berries are so big and still super tart. Really, I cannot get over the size of these things. I am eating them like candy. We've been going to South Moon for over a decade and they've never been this big before. And it's early for blueberries, even here. It's normally a June crop.

This means I need to step up the kitchen activity now that the season has started -- there are yummy no-bake blueberry pies to whip up, blueberry muffins galore to bake, and jam to cook and can for holiday gifts. You know, I haven't even put up my garlic-dill pickles yet because I thought I had more time. I guess I'd better get started!

No comments: