24 October 2007

west coast wandering

Yesterday, a friend and I went over to Crystal River to spend the day. I hadn't been there in a few years and was impressed with their combination of thrifts and antique stores. Everything we saw was moderately priced, with the exception of the $10 tattered copy of the first Harry Potter book in a Hospice Attic (I actually laughed out loud, then felt sort of bad.) I've been on the lookout for vintage Florida & oranges memorabilia for a while now, but it's either too kitchy or really expensive. I did luck out with an old promotional poster created by the Florida Citrus Commission. There were two different designs, but the thermometer's grin made my choice easy. We were blown away by the World's Best Organized Thrift Store -- the book area was divided into sections which were alphabetized and clearly labeled. Even the greeting cards were grouped according to celebration. The only thing we couldn't figure out was why they differentiated between Christian, Religious, and Christmas when organizing records (isn't that three ways to say the same thing?)

I also took some pictures, mostly ideas for T-shirt designs and silly local signage (several in little Williston! Who knew?) I'll have them up on Flickr in a bit, which I should attempt to connect to this blog sometime today -- wish me luck!

No comments: